Sample Cover Letter – Transportation Planning
Your City, State, Zip Code
Your Phone Number
Your Cell Phone Number
Dear Ms. Smith,
Your need for a Washington State Bicycle/Pedestrian Planning Specialist has come to my attention. I provide strong leadership, research, and attention to detail aptitudes. My ability to work well with others, environmental science degree, and extensive bicycle and alternative transportation work make for a strong foundation for this position.
My experience includes eleven years of serving on the Ann Arbor Bicycle Coordinating Committee (AABCC), Washtenaw Biking and Walking Coalition (WBWC), and I am an American Pedestrian and Bicycle Professionals (APBP) member. Among my accomplishments have been:
- Traffic counts, site evaluations, and analysis.
- Produced Bicycle/ Alt Program literature, maps, resolutions, and correspondences.
- Succeeded in getting a minimum five percent (5%) of ACT-51 funding to be appointed to non-motorized transportation in the Ann Arbor area into perpetuity.
- Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) compliance and advocacy.
- Attend all planning meetings for major infrastructure projects in the City, neighborhoods, and business associations and provide critique and recommendations.
- Address bicycle-pedestrian safety and legal concerns and look for ways to avoid potential future issues.
- Strengthened bicycle-alternative transportation program with increased bicycle and pedestrian facilities, education and awareness.
As a commuting bicyclist logging about 3,000 miles each year since the 1980s and regular bus system user and pedestrian, I am able to analyze the function of the alternative transportation system and its needs through daily use.
I look forward to interviewing with your department. Please contact me should you desire any further information before then.
Your Signature (hard copy letter)
Your Typed Name